Willing Hands Needlework Design

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands"
Proverbs 31:13

Welcome to my blog! I created this blog to keep you updated on my teaching schedule, designs, new designs, kit availability,
works in progress and other stitching related activities. From time to time I'll also be adding extra info about goings-on in my life.

To see my current teaching schedule, teaching pieces and retired designs, click on "older posts" at the bottom of each page.

Thank you for visiting!

Friday, March 21, 2014

New Designs

Happy 2014, stitching friends!

I spent the first few weeks of the year recuperating from a herniated disc which was pinching a sciatic nerve.  Happily, I'm pretty much back to normal now and, as soon as I was able to sit for extended periods of time again, I began work on two new designs.

Last December I had the pleasure of teaching at Just Cross Stitch Magazine's Christmas in Williamsburg Needle Arts Festival.  It was great fun and I got into serious trouble in the boutique as well as in some of the shops in Historic Williamsburg.  One treasure was a gorgeous piece of framed Japanese Embroidery which I found in a consignment shop for $20!  But I digress.

I've been invited back to teach again this year and one of the requirements is that the class pieces must be new and never published or taught before.  Fortunately, I had some ideas rattling around in the back of my head so I wasn't completely panicked.

Just Cross Stitch has now posted photos of these designs on their website and I am now free to post them on my blog.  You can check out this year's seminar by going to http://www.just-crossstitch.com/seminar/index.php.  There is a link to the registration forms there as well.

Both of these designs will be available for workshops starting in 2015. 



The above design is a Mexican stitcher's purse.  Its full name is "Maria Katarin's Stitching Reticule".  It is named for our adopted daughter, Caitie, who is part Mexican.  The various motifs and techniques used in this purse were inspired by an 1844 sampler from Pachuca, Mexico which is in my collection.

When folded closed, the reticule measures 4 x 8 inches.  It is stitched on light mocha Belfast linen using Gloriana silk flosses and is lined in olive silk Dupioni.  Inside there are 3 small pockets for
holding your small needlework tools including two of the smalls in this design - a scissor fob and a thread winder.  The reticule also includes a 5 inch stitched ruler.

Stitches include: Aztec, eyelet, diagonal pattern darning, pulled four sided, long arm cross, diagonal satin, Mexican klosters, satin, rice, upright cross, cross over one and cross over two.




This little box with its pull-out drawer is called "Can't See the Forest" and was inspired by what I see when I look out of my windows at the woods surrounding our farm.  Three sides of the box and the lid are adorned with various stylized trees which are interspersed with animals - a fawn, a fox, a raccoon, an owl, a squirrel, a skunk, a tiger swallowtail butterfly, and a Cardinal.  The bottom of the box is bordered in a vine and leaf black work pattern with space in the middle for initials and a date.  The top of the box is padded so that it can be used as a pin cushion and a scissor fob is included for you to tuck into the drawer.  The box measures 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2.

The box is stitched on light olive Belfast linen using Gloriana silk fosses and olive silk Dupioni fabric is used to line the box and construct the drawer.  A faceted crystal bead is used as the drawer pull.  Stitches include: tent, diagonal satin, eyelet variation, double running, queen, half cross, long arm cross, Smyrna cross, cross over one and cross over two.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Where I can find the pattern to stitch this beauty???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, no patterns - you have to take the class. Glad that you like it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely designs! I hope you come to Japan someday to teach us your wonderful projects~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I live in Italy and I can't take the class.... :( You will teach this on a class only? It will be possible after the class to have the kit?

    ReplyDelete